Re: is the NSLU2 installer broken?

Kurt 'Ingrid' Pruenner wrote:
> mick wrote:
> > Bob Smeets allegedly wrote:
> > > Did you follow the instructions on
> > > http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html and first obtained the
> > > latest installer image, and not one that you had as a backup?
> >
> > Yes. I tried a complete new install with a clean di-nslu2.bin image. I
> > used Martin's instructions for my original install and again for this
> > new one.
>
> FWIW - I'm just finishing re-installing Debian testing on my NSLU2 as
> well, since the last kernel upgrade in testing killed my NSLU2 (yellow
> LED on boot for 15+ minutes); but since the installer is probably using
> the same kernel image from testing I'm probably looking forward to
> having the exact same problem... :/
>
> Looks like I'll have to re-install to stable then upgrade the kernel to
> the one that previously was in testing, which did work...

Well, to follow up this - I managed to get my NSLU2 working again by
installing etch on a second USB drive I had lying around, then copying
it's /lib/modules over to my other USB drive and rebooting.

What didn't work, however, was installing the exact same kernel from
etch (or the kernel I know was working previously) after rebooting -
that only made my slug die on booting again, just like updating my
kernel in testing did before.

So I guess it's not the kernel that's having a problem, but something in
the toolchain used to build the initrd image - but since I don't have a
serial port on my slug (nor do I plan on installing one) I couldn't say
where the initrd breaks exactly when booting... :(

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......