Re: is the NSLU2 installer broken?

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:58:58 +0100
mick <mick@baldric.net> wrote:

> I have previously successfully installed lenny on a Linkysys NSLU2. I
> have now tried three times in the past day or so to install on a new
> NSLU2 and have consistently failed and always at the same point.
>
> The installion appears to work flawlessly right up to the point at
> the end where it writes the new kernel to flash and attempts to
> reboot into the new system. The installer reports that the reflash
> worked but upon booting, the device appears to be stuck in the
> redboot phase and fails to find initramfs (symptoms as described in
> the troubleshooting wiki "The slug hangs during reboot (stuck on orange
> LED, no HD activity.)"
>
> My device config is exactly the same as my earlier succcesful install
> (NSLU2 with 500 GB Lacie USB drive attached). Just to check that there
> is no hardware fault I have sucessfully reflashed with both the
> Linksys original image and a SlugOS image. But I'd really prefer a
> Debian install.
>
> Is there a known problem with a recent change? I note that Lenny seems
> to have been updated on 23 April.
>
> Is it worth me going back to using Martin Michlmayr's manual tarball
> install approach?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mick

Hi
I would say from the problems I'm having that its broke.
I'm having problems with 5.0 as well.
That looks as if its installed , but after rebootig there is no network .
Also very  strange I looked in /proc/net arp, and what its heard
has a MAC address of all zeros.

--

Best Wishes

Richard Bown

Registered Linux User 365161
OS Mandriva x86_64 2008.0 Kernel 2.6.22.9-1mdv
HAM Callsign G8JVM : Locator IO82SP
QRV all bands 80mtrs to 3 cms ,( non WARC )
http://www.software-radio.org.uk
A computer is like a Native American Indian teepee, it has no gates, no windows and has an apache inside.