Re: Reinstalling debian on n2100

Barry Tennison wrote:
> Tobias Frost wrote:
> > As a suggestion, look into "aptitude". aptitude has the advantage, that
> > it will show you what it does, and especially for a beginner it might be
> > helpful to see the consquences / dependencies of some packages. Aptitude
> > is a little slow on arm, at least with its default configuration.
>
> Agreed wholeheartedly.  Do use aptitude, Andrew: it takes a bit of
> learning, but then it's a wonderfully flexible tool that works well even
> if your system is minimal or gets quite broken.  And it's a mainstay
> workhorse in everyday situations like wanting to install a new package
> or two, or see what will happen if you update things.

Sorry to barge into this conversation, but I was wondering if you maybe
could share a few tips about how to configure aptitude on an NSLU2 so
it's not unbearably slow.

As it is, it takes several minutes for me to start (i.e. until I can
actually work with it) and moving the cursor around the list takes about
a second per line... :(

I'd really love to use aptitude, but until it gets faster somehow I'll
have to keep using aptsh...

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......