Re: kernel 2.6.24-1 in lenny, safe to upgrade?

Hi Gordon,

On 28 Mar 2008, at 18:36, Gordon Farquharson wrote:
Hi Joachim

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Joachim Beckers
<joachim.beckers@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

While looking at the updates for my NSLU2 running debian lenny just a
few minutes ago, I noticed that kernel 2.6.24-1 is available.
According to the changelog, this does not have the network driver
autoloading fix yet. Or does it? In other words: is it safe to upgrade?

Source version 2.6.24-3 includes the change required to load the
network driver automatically. The new binary version is built from
2.6.24-5 so it should work.

If you want, you can always backup the flash with

sudo cat /dev/mtdblock* > backup.img

and then copy this flash to your PC. If anything goes wrong with the
upgrade, you can then use upslug2 [1] to reflash the NSLU2 the image
stored in backup.img. To do this, you would

1. Put the NSLU2 into upgrade mode [2].
2. On the PC run 'upslug2 -i backup.img'

Thanks for the advice. Much needed as my slug wouldn't come up after the upgrade.

Does it check its hard drives after such an upgrade? It seems like the bootlog is completely normal (network comes up btw) but the leds were off except for the top one that was blinking (two times orange, then green). There was a lot of disk activity, and I let it do its thing for a while but then decided that the upgrade probably had failed. Couldn't ping it or ssh into it.

regards,

Joachim