Recommend place to set CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=xscale -mtune=xscale"

Hi All

I have  http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/LibTorrentKnownIssues read  that
it is recommended to set CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=xscale -mtune=xscale" before
compiling on the NSLU2.

I mostly compile Debian packages on the NSLU2.
Id like to know where/how I should set the CXXFLAGS flag.

Should I add
CXXFLAGS= -O2 -mcpu=xscale -mtune=xscale
or
DEB_CONFIGURE_SCRIPT_ENV += CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=xscale -mtune=xscale"
to the debian/rules file of the debian source package? And if so is there a
specific location it should be added ?

Or should I just add
export CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=xscale -mtune=xscale"
to my ~/.bashrc file.

The reason I ask is that when I add CXXFLAGS= -O2 -mcpu=xscale -mtune=xscale
to the debian/rules file of some packages, the CXXFLAGS flag setting is seen
in the gcc output while the the package compiles. On others it is not. I
can't be sure that the CXXFLAGS setting is always being applied.
When I export the CXXFLAGS setting in the ~/.bashrc file, the CXXFLAGS flag
setting is never seen in the gcc output while the the package compiles.

Id appreciate it if someone could advise how and where CXXFLAGS should be
set and how one checks if the flag was applied post compile job.

Thanks.