Re: Filesystems for Debian NSLU2

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:37:40PM -0000, Sam Reed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a 500GB drive attached to my Debian NSLU2, and noticed there was
> 25GB of space missing
>

> A bit of research found it was reserved space - 5% (of 500 = 25)
>

> And was able to change this using "tune2fs -m 1 /dev/sdb1"
>

> Someone suggested using XFS/ReiserFS over ext3.. Some more research found
> Martin saying don't use XFS on ARM
> (http://www.nabble.com/Problem-with-XFS-on-NSLU2--td14171563.html). Someone
> else in the same thread suggested JFS would be ok..
>

> Is there going to much gained from changing to JFS/ReiserFS....?

Certainly going to reiserfs will let you gain a drop in reliability.  I
wouldn't dare put my data on reiserfs anymore.  I only use ext3 (I had
been issues with xfs on x86 around 2.6.9 - 2.6.11).

ext3 works, it has a good balance of performance for large and small
files (xfs can get dreadful when you try to copy or delete a lot of
small files) and it works.

I have not tried JFS ever so I can't comment on it.
--
Len Sorensen