From: James Bromberger [mailto:james@rcpt.to]
Sent: 25 January 2008 23:14
To: Sam Reed
Cc: debian-arm@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Filesystems for Debian NSLU2

Sam Reed wrote:
> Changing the reserved space, from what i can gather, is used if it
> runs out of space on the / drive.. It's not going to cause any problems is
it?

No, its not dangerous at all. The "reserved" space is, as you say, only
available to the "root" user. No other user on the system can exceed the
"disk - reserved space" capacity. If you want to use the space yourself,
then fine, change it. It doesn't really matter.
> Which makes sense. So leaving some is a good idea, but presumably 5GB
> is still loads (the main drive im using currently is 4GB!), so could i
> reduce this down further happily
Yes. Generally I think the default is to leave around 5% "reserved".
Feel free to drop that if you want the space for "non-root" users on your
device.

--
   James Bromberger | www.james.rcpt.to | james_AT_rcpt.to
   UK Cell: +44 7952042920 | Perth/Au phone in London/UK: +61 8 6424 8325