NSLU2 Debian Installer Erroneous asking for an IP address

Whenever the NSLU2 is set to a static IP of 192.168.1.77, and then flashed it with the debian installer image, it is requesting an IP addresses from DHCP erroneously. Ie it is not following the static ip address (which is the Linksys default). Set to 192.168.1.78, and it uses the static IP address

(Martin, this is related to that email from before i sent you)

Sam

<mwester> I changed my static IP to 192.168.1.77, and it DHCP'd for some very odd reason.

<Reedy_Boy> :S

<bearbear1982> hehe

<bearbear1982> ok

<Reedy_Boy> Sounds like a bug to me

<bearbear1982> tht solve my problem

<bearbear1982> tnx for the help

<mwester> Yeah, somebody needs to alert the debian folks of that problem.

<Reedy_Boy> I'll post it if you want...

<mwester> (it may be more complicated than just that, but it definitely DHCP'd when I told it to do static, and stopped DHCPing when I changed the IP to 192.168.1.78)

<Reedy_Boy> Its recieving IP address from DHCP rather than the statically assigend one

<mwester> Well, more than just receiving, it's erroneously asking.

<Reedy_Boy> mwester, maybe so, but it gives martin/others a reasonable starting point

<Reedy_Boy> so on a statically assigned IP of 1.77 its dhcp'ing, anything else statically assigned its fine?

<mwester> That's true.  It's very possible that they missed it because they set up their routers to issue the 192.168.1.77 IP to that MAC address via DHCP.

<Reedy_Boy> hmm

<Reedy_Boy> Presumably, they wont have set it up to purposely ask for an ip if its already on the "default"

<mwester> That's how I set up my network as well; it saves a lot of time when testing.

<Reedy_Boy> i be

<Reedy_Boy> bet

<Reedy_Boy> just incase it went awol on IP's, dhcp puts it back on track?

<mwester> That way you test DHCP and static, but your NSLU2 is always at the same address, so you never lose it.