Re: Correct Procedure to build nslu2 kernel natively ?

* Iain Young <iain@g7iii.net> [2008-10-27 19:54]:
> So I edit .config, unset CONFIG_ATH5K, as it seems not to compile
> for me

That suggests to me that you're missing the Debian patches to the
kernel.

> make-kpkg --arch arm --subarch ixp4xx --arch_in_name --initrd \ kernel_image

I'd use the method described at
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/BuildImage (although it may
need some updates to 2.6.26).

> Also, what, if anything extra do I need to do to get the ixp4xx
> Ethernet firmware included ?

Nothing.  The microcode is stored in /lib/firmware, and the Ethernet
driver itself is included in the mainline kernel these days.

> Or should I give up trying to compile the kernel natively,
> and cross-compile ?

The cross compiler from Emdebian works for me.  Add
  deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ unstable main
and install:
  apt-get install libc6-armel-cross libc6-dev-armel-cross binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi gcc-4.1-arm-linux-gnueabi
(this is for armel).

Anyway, if you cannot work things out, I can compile a kernel for you
with the right option.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/