Re: How much mobileSDRAM do I need for OOo?

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:28:46PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I see, OOo 2.4.1 does exist for Lenny and ARMEL and I like to know,  how
> much Memory I must have to run it since I have
>
>   1)  Atmel AT91SAM9G20 (400 MHz)
>       256 MByte mobileSDRAM
>       2x 512 MByte NAND Flash
>
>   2)  Freescale i.MX31 (532 MHz)
>       512 MByte mobileSDRAM
>       512 MByte (I need 3 times more of it) of NAND Flash
>
> On none of those two machines I can run OOo. [SEGV]

SEGV means there is a bug.  It might be that low ram triggers the bug,
but it is still very much a bug.  Not checking the return code of a
malloc call is not acceptable coding practice and should be fixed.

It could also have nothing to do with ram of course and simply be a bug
of some sort.

> All other stuff is running fine...  Except  Apache  and  Courier,  which
> become instable, if I have multiple connections.
>
> I should note, that I can run OOo 2.0 on a IBM TP570 (366MHz, 192 MByte)
> without any problems and the two ARM machines are more powerful.

Well that's x86.  Much less likely to have compiler bugs and such since
so many people use and test that.

So I would say there is a bug in OOo or the toolchain on arm.  Given how
often java is broken on different machine types, and OOo likes using
java for stuff, it doesn't surprise me at all.

So it isn't a ram problem, just a bug. :)

--
Len Sorensen