nslu2 kernel build issue: ABI changed!

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to recompile the debian kernel package natively on the
nslu2, as I need to add the AX25 modules. The kernel and modules
compile successfully (ok 13.5 hours later...), but then the build
process complains with the error:

python2.4 debian/bin/abicheck.py debian/build/build-arm-none-ixp4xx arm none ixp4xx
ABI has changed!  Refusing to continue.

And then it tells me all the AX25 module symbols that I added
(which of course, I want adding anyway!)

I'm following the instructions at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/BuildImage and using
kernel-source-2.6.18.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or missing ? I've tried
googling, and hitting FAQs, but didn't find anything.

Best Regards

Iain