Re: install dpkg into arm board

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 05:21:30PM +0530, Sivakumar.R.J wrote:
> ya chroot method really working fine in our arm platfrom..i am able to
> update the packages in the chroot env and installed xorg package in the
> chroot jail on the target board.
>
> i tried to start the Xorg server. it getting failed with error.
>
> Now i want to launch X server using /dev/fb0 framebuffer device. Can some
> one please give me direction to run XSERVER from the chroot environment on
> the target filesystem.

You need entries in /dev.  You can either rbind mount the real /dev to
the chroot /dev, or just copy files there.  The rbind mount is nice.

> This is the error list
>
> **root@freescale /etc/X11$ startx
> hostname: Host name lookup failure
> xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "freescale:0" in "list" command
> xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name "freescale:0" in "add" command

Make sure /etc/hosts contains a valid entry for the machine or some
things will fail.

> X: warning; process set to priority -1 instead of requested priority 0
>
> X.Org X Server 1.4.2
> Release Date: 11 June 2008
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.2-6)
> Current Operating System: Linux freescale 2.6.24-140-g68eb4b4 #9 PREEMPT Mon
> Sep 15 15:26:37 IST 2008 armv6l
> Build Date: 15 September 2008  02:34:22PM
>
>         Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
>         to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan  1 04:20:32 1970
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> xf86PciVideoInfo is not set
> Could not get primary PCI info
>
> Backtrace:
> 0: /usr/bin/X11/X(xf86SigHandler+0x70) [0x80aa8]
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>

> waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
> giving up.
> xinit:  Connection reset by peer (errno 104):  unable to connect to X server
> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
> xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "freescale:0" in "remove" command

Another posibility is that the kernel on the host system isn't capable
of running your X server.  Not sure if it needs framebuffer support or
anything else.  I have never run X on an arm myself.

--
Len Sorensen

   yes, we have binded dev,proc,and sys folder to the chroot and its seems everything fine with the framebuffer sitting in the /dev/fb0, its working well with some other qt related application wih -qws(quick window system).Only we have issue in configuring Xorg.conf file with resolution and frequency.

 As your telling Xserver will do anything with /etc/host file, yes we have created the host name in the hosts and setted the DISPLAY environment variable to the localhost

 #export DISPLAY=:0.0 ---- also tried with many other options.

If framebuffer is working fine with other application means, then i dont think any problem in the kernel. Also we  are not trying to run in the host, its in the arm platform itself. we didnt even get the terminal window in the vga output from our target. Show me some light in this.

----
sivakumar