NSLU2 won't reboot after recent etch upgrade

Sorry for being late with my slug runnig etch while all are talking
about lenny here.

This is the problem as far as I can decribe it - I'm only a debian
*user*:

After I upgraded some days ago my slug running Debian Etch 4.03r using
apt-get upgrade the slug hangs during reboot. Status led yellow,
Ehternet blinking, Disk 1 + 2 off. Ok, maybe fsck running, I waited
for over an hour but nothing changed.

Then I copied a previously saved /boot - folder to the actual /boot -
folder. The slug started normally. My sda ( a 4 GB stick) is
partitioned as follows:

sda1 /boot (bootable)
sda5 /swap
sda6 /

Today I had to reboot the slug due to a problem with the usb hub which
connects two hdds and another stick (swap) to the slug - and the slug
hangs again. I then tried the solution of Martin Michelmayr posted
here in April for a corrupt lenny update (flashing the slug after
booting into the debian installer) = no go.

Finally I had to install from scratch completely which is *very*
annoying as I lost one whole day for all this until the slug is now up
again.

I posted the upgrade problem to the german board and there were
answers showing the same problem - so I'm not alone...

I'm sorry that I don't have soldered a serial port to the slug so I
can't say where it hangs during boot. Maybe it's the partitioning
where the problem is - are there assumptions made in the upgrade
files?

Pls ask if I should provide more infos to solve the problem. However
*I* will never, never again upgrade the kernel or initramfs.

BTW: Is there a way when doing apt-get upgrade to select the files to
be upgraded? At the moment I only know the options <Yes> and <No> to
all.