Re: Supporting platforms with no EEPROM?

Bill Gatliff wrote:
[snip]
> The MAC Address will be reset to 00:00:00:00:00:00, which is invalid
> and requires you to set the proper MAC address manually before continuing
> to enable this network device.
[snip]
> To date, the only way I've seen around this is to just hack out the code in the
> e1000 driver that deals with the EEPROM and MAC addresses.  Is there any plan
> for cleanly handling no-EEPROM platforms, or am I into "undiscovered territory"
> here?  I'm willing to submit patches once I find a minimally-invasive and robust
> solution, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

Can't you just put a made-up MAC address into /etc/network/interfaces?
Like this:

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
	hwaddress ether 00:07:95:09:c4:96

Don't use that one (IIRC, it belongs to a Mini-ITX board in my
cupboard).  Ideally use the original one configured for the unit.

HTH
John