Re: how to install debian image on nslu2 (not full install)

* ido <ido2.ido1@yahoo.com> [2008-09-04 13:29]:
> I have debian installed on my external wd mybook, which I dont want to
> reinstall.
>
> which steps do I need to take to burn a new image on the new nslu2 so I
> could use it with my already installed debian ?

So you basically want to clone your NSLU2?  You have to follow thess
steps:

 - While the old NSLU2 is running, make a copy of your flash:
   cat /dev/mtdblock? > mtd-backup

 - Power down the NSLU2, connect the USB disk to another machine and
   make a tar ball of your system complete:
     mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/
     mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
     mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/home
     tar -cpf ~/all.tar /mnt

   (The mount commands obviously depend on your hard drive layout)

 - Partition the new disk so that it has the same layout (i.e. the
   same partitions, the sizes don't matter)

 - Mount the new disk and format the partitions:
   mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
   mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2
   mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda6
   mkswap /dev/sda5

 - Mount the partitions and untar the tar ball:
     mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/
     mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
     mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/home
     cd /mnt
     tar -xpf ~/all.tar

 - Put the new NSLU2 into upgrade mode and upload mtd-backup

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/