Re: ext3/ext2 kernel bug with umlauts?

Ted,

There have been some reports on debian-arm recently about problems
with ext3: some files containg special characters (e.g. umlauts) don't
show up properly, and the problem goes away when the filesystem is
mounted as ext2.

Some examples and information:

* Kai Weber <kai.weber@glorybox.de> [2008-08-16 22:03]:
> I have an Debian/NSLU2, kernel 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx.
>
> Following interesting problem. Could this be a kernel bug? If I attach
> the USB disk to my laptop it works flawless whether mounted as ext3 or
> ext2.
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux foobar 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx #1 Wed Jun 18 23:27:34 UTC 2008 armv5tel
> GNU/Linux
> $ mount | grep /share
> /dev/sdb6 on /share type ext3 (rw)
> $ ls /share/erlend*
> ls: /share/erlend Øye - dj kicks: No such file or directory
> $ sudo umount /share
> $ sudo mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb6 /share
> $ ls /share/erlend*
> total 76892
> 01-jürgen_paape-so_weit_wie_noch_nie.mp3
> 03-erlend_øye-sheltered_life_(rmx)+fine_night_(acapella).mp3
> [...]

Micha <post@glockenstein.de> confirms the same problem with 2.6.26.

Timo Jyrinki reported something similar in #493957 and provides a lot
of information:

> - However, some directories were not accessible. All unaccessible
> directories seemed to (at a casual look) have special characters in
> their names, but many similar named directories worked without problems.
> For example (from my FLACd CD collection):
> d?????????  ? ?    ?        ?         ? Björk - Telegram
> d?????????  ? ?    ?        ?         ? Ø - Metri
> etc.

[After upgrading from 2.6.25 to 2.6.26:]

> However, I still have the same problem with some of the directories on the
> disk, regardless of whether it's attached via USB or eSATA. I tried the
> following, all actions done on my laptop and then checked the result when
> attaching the disk to the QNAP:

> 1. Tarring a few problematic directories and untarring on ext3-formatted
> USB stick, same directory structure
> : Does not show the problem on the USB stick.
> 2. As above, but untarring on the same disk in different directory
> : Does not show the problem
> 3. As above, but removing the problematic dirs in place and untarring from
> the archive
> : The problematic directories stay problematic
> 4. Moving a few problematic dirs to another directory
> : They start working
> 5. Creating a few additional dirs in the original directory, then moving
> the moved directories back to the original directory too
> : The created dirs work, but the moved-back dirs are again problematic
> 6. Sorted by inode ls -i, the problematic dirs are not sequential.
>
> Ok, so I couldn't figure out anything, but now while I'm writing this I
> tried ls -U, ie. unsorted ls, and found out that all the problematic dirs
> are in sequential order, with line numbers 60-68. There was actually a
> ninth problematic directory, which I moved now away while testing. But now
> there are only eight problematic dirs.

> It does not seem to be related to those index numbers though, since I
> found other unaccessible subdirectories in other places. Curiously, I
> found that I had two subdirectories under different directories which had
> the same name "näytettävät" ("to be shown"), and both of them were
> unaccessible. Both of them were second of two subdirectories (among files)
> respectively, when viewing with ls -U.

> Attached is output (cutted in places marked as such) of ls -l and ls -U
> in the original problematic directory.

> Can you think of anything that could cause the problem, or any low level
> information on those directory entries I could somehow extract?

> As a sidenote, as only stderr messages have correctly formed non-ascii
> characters, kernel / something seems to lack some charset support. When
> going into directories with eg. cd A[tab], non-ascii characters are
> correctly shown.

and:

> I tested attaching another disk to QNAP, a disk that happens to have an
> earlier backup of the same CD FLAC rips... the same problems show there,
> ie. 10 unaccessible sequential (ls -U) directories under that
> subdirectory. Different directories this time, so it's not about the
> contents, but some other feature / index of those. Also on the same disc
> are a few other unaccessible directories, but that's the only directory
> with so many subdirectories that the "10 in a row" thing is visible.

and:

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/