Re: Debian kernel package for linkstation pro

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Tim Small <tim@buttersideup.com> wrote:
> I presume (but I'm not sure) that the only method for installing Debian on
> the kuropro, and lspro will be to start the installer via TFTP..  I suppose
> it might also be possible to write an installer image to the HD of the
> linkstation (by connecting the drive directly to another machine first), and
> use this to boot-strap the install.

The installation of Debian on the kuropro flashes the installer
image to disk, then alters the u-boot environment to boot
that. The change of the u-boot environment is later (re)used
by the installed system.

I don't know much about the lspro but does it not have an
original firmware or EM that you can boot into? On the
kuropro the "EM" is used until you press the init/reset
button with a harddrive in it and some files in /mnt/mtd to
install a new rootfs. So if pressing the init/reset button is
avoided accesing the disk from EM is possible, writing
installer images to it.

Can EM be used similarly on the lspro?

-- Per