Re: Building zd1211 drivers fore WiFi dongle

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 07:41:53PM -0700, johncohn wrote:
> Note.. I posted this same query in the nabble nslu2-linux forum. Someone
> there suggested I try here as well. tnx
>
> Folks.
> I'm a total newb in both the debian and slug worlds... but I'm already
> having a blast... and want to get fluent in these things.  Right now I'm
> trying to get a zd1211 based wifi USB dongle working with my slug using the
> instructions here  . I poked around some and learned that someone had built
> the zd1211 drivers in a package called zd12111-firmware. When I try to
> install it I get
>
> LKG7CD387:~#  apt-get install zd1211-firmware
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package zd1211-firmware is not available, but is referred to by another
> package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> E: Package zd1211-firmware has no installation candidate
>
> I looked further and found a package called zd1211-source, which I
> downloaded. From what I can tell, that gave me a file called zd1211.tar.bz2
> in /usr/src .. Now, I suspect that  most folks know what to do with that
> type of file.

You want to use module-assistant to compile and install this for you:

apt-get install module-assistant
m-a prepare
m-a install zd1211

However, the zd1211 stuff has been orphaned recently, so it's possible
that it doesn't work currently. AIUI, the problem is that the maintainer
doesn't have any zd1211 hardware anymore to test with; I'd take over, if
not for the fact that my hardware died, too (and that I'm not a kernel
person).

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22