n2100, failed raid 1 disk: cannot shutdown

Hello everybody,

I have the following configuration: a thecus n2100 with two disks configured as raid1 (actually there are three partitions on each disk: a non-mirrored swap partition and two data partitions, one small and the other large. These latter partitions are part of two raid1 mirrors across the two drives and above them I built lvm2 volumes).

Anyway last night one of the disks failed. I thought it was no big problem: monday I'll buy a new disk and replace the failed one.

But then I tried to shutdown (via shutdown -r now) and I cannot.

I get the usual "The system is going down for reboot NOW!" message, in /var/log/messages I see

May 17 09:06:56 thebian shutdown[5507]: shutting down for system reboot

(thebian is the name of the n2100, sorry for the pun...)

but then, nothing happens. After *many* minutes some of SCSI errors appears in /var/log/messages

May 17 09:23:34 thebian kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00040000
May 17 09:23:34 thebian kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
May 17 09:23:34 thebian kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00040000
May 17 09:23:34 thebian kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0

and so on, but I think they are completely unrelated to the shutdown as with a dead disk they appear even during "normal" operation. Apart from this, nothing. runlevel prints

2 6

so I'm stuck in the middle of the shutdown, but why? I suppose a console would help in this case but alas my n2100 has no serial connector :)

Now, before going the pull-the-power-cord way ;) I'm wondering if somebody has seen this or has advice.

Also: is pulling the power cord safe in this scase? I mean: will the raid rebuild? I think it will but has somebody advice?

PS: anyway, I backed up everything :)