Re: non-working coreutils and findutils in arm chroot, running armel kernel

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 02:04:10PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> If someone can show that it is a coreutils problem, and have
> some kind of reproducible case I'd be happy to look at it more.

Ok, but I'd still like to keep the bug open in coreutils, so people
can find it.

> point I don't see what I can do. (I will point out that this problem did
> not exist when the package was built, because it would have failed the
> build tests--so what could have changed apart from the rm binary...)

The difference is that the buildd's run a oldabi kernel and oldabi
userland. This is the "arm" debian port. Now we also have new abi,
EABI, which is the debian port "armel". Both are little endian.

Matthias and some others run a EABI kernel with a oldabi emulation, and
use the emulation layer to run oldabi arm port in a chroot. In this
chroot new versions of coreutils/findutils which use *at syscalls
are failing.

Now after a quick relook, I think the issue is fstatat64. both find and
rm call it, but arch/arm/kernel/sys_oabi-compat.c doesn't have a shim
to convert the stat64 struct oldabi <-> eabi for this function.
Fix is probably trivial, if we want to continue to support the oldabi
emulation layer.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups