State of the arm/ixp4xx 2.6.24 kernel (important if you run Debian on an NSLU2)

Hi All

For the arm/ixp4xx Debian 2.6.24 kernel (used on the Linksys NSLU2), I
switched to Krzysztof Hasala's Ethernet driver. I did this because
2.6.25 will definitely contain the Krzysztof's support for the IXP4xx
network processor engine and hardware queue manager, and should
contain the NSLU2 and NAS100D platform support (Rod Whitby has
submitted those patches to Russell King's ARM patch system).
Therefore, the only parts left for full support in the kernel for
IXP4xx networking will be Krzysztof's Ethernet and High Speed Serial
(HSS) drivers, and I'm hoping that he will submit these to the Linux
netdev mailing list for review soon.

The first paragraph contained the good news. The bad news is that
although Krzysztof's driver is works well, udev does not load the
driver automatically. This means that you should *not* run a 2.6.24
kernel on your NSLU2 unless you have serial port access, because you
will not have network access without loading the driver manually. I'm
working on a solution to this problem, but until one exists, be
careful when 2.6.24 hits unstable.

Gordon

--
Gordon Farquharson