Re: NSLU2 Debian Installer Erroneous asking for an IP address

* Rod Whitby <rod@whitby.id.au> [2008-01-08 10:03]:
> > Whenever the NSLU2 is set to a static IP of 192.168.1.77, and then
> > flashed it with the debian installer image, it is requesting an IP
> > addresses from DHCP erroneously. Ie it is not following the static ip
> > address (which is the Linksys default). Set to 192.168.1.78, and it uses
> > the static IP address
> My understanding is that this is the intended behaviour of the nslu2
> debian installer network configuration logic.

That's correct.

The rationale behind it is in case the IP address is 192.168.1.77 you
didn't configure it explicitly, so maybe you really want another
address.  That's why DHCP is used in this case.

That's the way the installer currently works, but I'm definitely not
saying it has to stay like this.  If people find it confusing and have
the installer rather use the static address 192.168.1.77 in this case,
I can change the logic.

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/