Installing a Thecus N2100

Hi!
   I would like to debianise a new thecus N2100, but I gather that the
current installer (etch 4.0r1) is broken because the kernel package it
needs was updated, but the package that points at it wasn't, so it
tries to fetch a nonesistent kernel package in the final stages of the
installation.
   Do we have a workaround for this? I'd imagine something like
- run the installer anyway until it fails in the final stages
- fetch and unpack the proper kernel and initrd on some other host
- load and flash them using redboot
- hope
- wiki the commands that made it possible :)

I mean, I can certainly run the whole box over NFS by chanting at
redboot, I but wonder if anyone has hacked round the broken installer
to get an image on disk.