Re: Best USB stick for the slug

Are you swapping to the USB stick on this slug? If so, it may not be the right medium for you. The Flash RAM used in USB sticks has a lifetime limit of approximately 100,000 - 1,000,000 write cycles [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_state_drive]

If you're not swapping, you should still take a look at a recent thread in debian-boot on the subject of the "relatime" mount option, which will drastically reduce the number of writes to the filesystem for updating an inode's "atime" field. This may also help make your mail system feel snappier. I believe it requires a kernel version more recent than that available with Debian "etch".

Enjoy!

Rick