From: Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:58:11 +0100
To: Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk>
Cc: Aurelien Jarno <aurel32@debian.org>
Subject: Re: debian java libffi patches
	RCVD_IN_NJABL_DUL,RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL autolearn=no version=3.1.7-deb, No

Wookey writes:
 > On 2007-07-03 17:02 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > aph@hedges:~$ apt-get source libjava
 > > Reading package lists... Done
 > > Building dependency tree... Done
 > > E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
 > > aph@hedges:~$ apt-get source libgcj
 > > Reading package lists... Done
 > > Building dependency tree... Done
 > > E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
 >
 > Only the binary repositories were listed (sources not normally needed
 > here, you are expected to be operating in the chroots).
 >
 > I've added source repositories too - should work now.
 >
 > (I fell off the net for a couple of hours after the thunder and
 > lightning)

Ah.  :)  Remarkably, all the machines here stayed up despite the brownouts.

Anyway, I have a problem.  The linker is complaining about overflows
in relocs, and I can see why:

    2d9c:       ebfffffe        bl      0 <lt_dlopenext>
                        2d9c: R_ARM_PLT32       lt_dlopenext

This looks to me like offsets from an instruction to the PLT have to
be contained within 24 bits.  Is that correct?  The text section of
libgcj (unoptimized) is 52794995 bytes, which I reckon needs a 26 or
27 bit offset field, depending on whether the bl instruction takes a
signed or an unsigned offset.

size .libs/libgcj.so.9.0.0
52794995        4723732  219216 57737943        37102d7 .libs/libgcj.so.9.0.0

Dows the 24-bit limit of the bl instruction impose an absolute limit
on the size of a shared library?

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903

----- End forwarded message -----
Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/