armel disk image

On 4/26/07, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
* Jeff Breidenbach <jeff@jab.org> [2007-04-10 22:53]:
> >Yes, yes, please put up a nslu2 disk image!!  I want to see if I can get
> >a working debian Install.
>
> My spare nslu2 accidentally got left in a remote datacenter.
> So it will be some time before I can actually do this. Maybe
> someone else will oblige in the meantime.

I have done this now: http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/unpack.html

Ok, I made one too, which has a few less steps than Martin's version at
the cost of some flexibility. Here's the completely untested recipe.

1 Get an nlsu2
2 Get a fast, reliable 2GB flash drive (I used Corsair Flash Voyager GT)
3 Get a Debian or Ubuntu desktop computer
4 apt-get install dd_rescue upslug2
5 Download armel-2gb.img.gz
6 Download armel-firmware.bin
7 Image the flash drive using your desktop computer
  a Figure out where the drive is; in this example /dev/sde
  b Double check you aren't about to toast your hard drive
  c zcat armel-2gb.img.gz | dd_rescue - /dev/sde
8 Put nslu2 in firmware upload mode
9 upslug2 -i armel-firmware.bin

That's it. Combine the flashdrive and the nslu2 and it should boot
to DHCP networking. The root password is changeme, and you
should probably adjust your timezone (tzconfig) and make a user
account.

Now I need three things - help.

1) A website to post armel-2gb.img.gz. This is presumably contaminated
with the proprietary network driver, so it should be behind one of those
stupid click-through license agreements. There's already similar armel
stuff at http://www.slug-firmware.net - can someone with a connection
there help me? This is a ~150MB file.

2) I don't actually know how to pull off the firmware currently flashed
to the nslu2. That means I don't have a copy of armel-firmware.bin
mentioned in the instructions. How do I do that? I presumably would
dump a copy of this on the same website as the armel-2gb.img.gz.
Although if it isn't contaminated by the proprietary ethernet driver, I can
easily find a home for it. (Joey: is it contaminated or not?)

3) I should put these instructions on a wiki or something so that users
can make notes when or if they run into problems. Can some existing
Linux / Debian / NSLU provide a wiki page I can edit? I don't really
want to run my own wiki.