Re: Some thoughts on the ARM build daemons

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> > > - tofee: up, building packages, sometimes stable-security.
> > >
> > > I think it is time to changes things. Our faster build daemons have a
> > > 233MHz CPU with 256MB of RAM, while there are way faster ARM CPU today.
> >
> > How much faster is the fastest available ARM CPU compared to toffee?
>
> As in, the fastest ARM CPU that exists in the world?  As far as
> I know, that would be the 1.2 GHz Intel IOP342 (dual core.)

Are these publicly available and affordable? If so, let's replace the
existing seven buildds with two IOP342; it'll reduce the administrative
overhead for DSA/buildd admins and lower the peak time for arm security
builds. Right now toffee is six times slower than the second-slowest Etch
archs (mipsel/powerpc) and about 32 times slower than the fastest one
(s390). (All accounted for a recent xfree86 oldstable-security build).

Cheers,
        Moritz