About the continuity of SlugOS/LE + Debian

Hello!

Some time ago I installed in my NSLU2 using SlugOS/LE and I bootstrapped to
Debian.

That was a neat solution. I was able to debug whatever problem I had ( and I
had some ) from the SlugOS and after correcting them, boot my Debian.

From a user point of view, the minimal SlugOS system is very handy to debug
any problem or to make a fsck to the disk filesystem (without needing to add
a serial port).

Now, I would like to have a 2.6.18 debian kernel, with the new open source
network driver and the greatest patches. One way to achieve that is the
standard debian install, but that will erase the SlugOS.

Other solution could be awaiting for a new SlugOS/LE version, but as far I can
see the bootstrap method is not recommended anymore and I would expect that
the new OpenSlug kernel versions can be incompatible with the debian disk
system.

I can see three possible solutions:

 - Perhaps the SlugOS is not really needed, I don't fully understand the
system and that's why I need the small SlugOS.

 - I can recompile ( and modify if needed ) myself newer versions of OpenSlug
to work like the old SlugOS/LE, but because I see nobody doing that, perhaps
this is a bad idea or this is too much work.

 - And the last solution ( a deadly elegant one IMHO ) is to have an OpenSlug
distribution with kexec support (recently added to 2.6.21)  that would be
functional and would be able to load a debian kernel from the hard disk. This
would be great to test software, new installations, etc ...

If somebody is working on the solution I would be glad to know that, and if it
is not done, I would also like to know why. If the reason is lack of
manpower, perhaps I could take that as a personal project :) .

Kind regards to every one in this great project :)