Trouble with undefined symbols

Was using apt-get install samba, all was well until...

Starting Samba daemons: nmbd/usr/sbin/nmbd: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/liblber.so.2: undefined symbol: bar_int_options
 failed!

same thing when I try to start apache2

LKG7D60FE:~# /etc/init.d/apache2 start
Starting web server (apache2).../usr/sbin/apache2: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/liblber.so.2: undefined symbol: bar_int_options
 failed!

I can't find any information on where or why the symbol isn't defined.
Nothing at all turns up on google.  Obviously some pointers on the problem
would be great, but just some advice I where I go to ask about this problem
would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I can remember, I did nothing odd with the system today except
removing and installing some packages (x11-common) that I thought were
causing some other trouble.

Thanks for your time.

Craig