Re: RAID1 root on nslu2

Hi Martin

On 4/4/07, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:

If I remember correctly, you could simply do:

apex-env printenv
apex-env eraseenv

apex-env eraseenv didn't work for me. I get

$ sudo apex-env eraseenv
error: use force option to erase region containing foreign data
Try `apex-env --help' or `apex-env --usage' for more information.

when I try to erase a non-0xff padded environment. If I try setting
the force parameter as suggested, I get

$ sudo apex-env eraseenv --force
Password:
apex-env: unrecognized option `--force'
Try `apex-env --help' or `apex-env --usage' for more information.

It seems that the force parameter of the method eraseenv can't be
changed from the apex-env command line, and therefore is always false.
I'm not sure if Marc did this intentionally to protect users from
themselves, or if it is a bug. The code looks the same in apex-1.4.17.
I suspected when I discovered this problem a couple of weeks ago that
it was too late to make a change for etch, so I started writing a wiki
page [1], but haven't finished it yet. However, I may have been wrong
about getting an update into etch given the delays. I have submitted a
bug report [2], so we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, I haven't
had the time to create and test a patch.

Gordon

[1] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/LVM

Gordon Farquharson