Re: NSLU2 D-I RC2, installation oddities, apt-get update error

* Rob Lockhart <rlockhar@gmail.com> [2007-04-02 21:31]:
> Is it not true that the linux kernel won't necessarily mount items
> in fstab based on partition label?  As part of D-I RC2 manual
> partitioning, one is given the option to label the partitions (new
> or those that would be formatted), but I thought I read somewhere
> that the partition labels themselves can't be used in /etc/fstab but
> I could be wrong.  Is that what you are referring here (uuid)?

There are two things: labels and uuid.  Every partition (except for
swap by default) always has an uuid, which is a unique id.  A label is
similar, but needs to be set explicitly by the user.  In Linux, you
can use UUID= or LABEL= in /etc/fstab.  In the past, this wasn't
supported on the NSLU2 because our script that parses /etc/fstab and
writes the root device to the ramdisk (initramfs) didn't know about
LABEL and UUID.  I've recently implemented this, so both LABEL and
UUID will work [*].  However, the installer currently doesn't support
this, so you need to edit /etc/fstab manually (and run
update-initramfs and flash-kernel).

[*] LABEL=/ will not work (but LABEL=root does) because the script
actually checks whether the device exists in /dev/disk/by-label and
that's not possible for / (since / is the directory separator).
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/