Re: Softfloat on ARM?

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 15:53 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 03:51:39PM +0100, David Fokkema wrote:
>
> > Regarding floating point operations in ImageMagick / NetPBM there were
> > suggestions to try out the EABI port. Right now, that seems a bit
> > painful.
>
> Why is that?

Excuse the length of this mail.

Please see this as a comment from a somewhat knowledgeable user without
(unfortunately) loads of free time (due to the fact that I have a
daughter not quite a month old, ;-)

I was looking forward to JRDS (just run debian stable) in a few weeks
(maybe months :-/ ). Right now, I have a firewall, mail, several domains
with gallery1, gallery2 and wordpress running on a Linksys NSLU2.
Running that on a 266 Mhz with 32 Mb was proving to be quite a
challenge. But trimming down memory usage and compiling eAccelerator
made it all work. Almost. Resizing photo's proved to be a problem.

Right now, the prospect of running an experimental port of unstable
which might not have all the packages I need (I didn't check...) is
somewhat daunting, certainly opposed to (if I can figure out how) just
recompiling a few packages.

I'm untarring the armel chroot right now, just to check it out. Maybe I
will take the plunge...

David