Re: arm eabi port, patches

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:11:23PM +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> More and more VFP-supporting CPUs are coming out lately, and it would
> be nice to be able to use VFP on them in a sane way.  The existing
> Debian EABI efforts have been taking a while, so November 24 last year
> I started working on a from-scratch EABI port, sponsored by Applied
> Data Systems (http://www.applieddata.net/)  Six and a half weeks later,
> there's about 6000 debs built, and so far it all seems to work pretty
> well.

Impressive :)

> I can't share the debs yet (internal and customer use only for now),

Is publishing estimated how soon? IE. Should someone start writing a
more official announcement that clarifies to the non-arm people why the
new port is usefull?

> I asked Joey Hess, and he felt that there are probably more packages
> that depend on linux-gnu than on having gnueabi, which makes sense.
> The only packages that really need to know about gnueabi are binutils,
> gcc and glibc, the rest should just be checking defined(__ARM_EABI__).

> Opinions?

I agree, we have a pile of patches (mostly against sarge versions..).
Most of them do not really make sense, linux-gnueabi is effectively
linux-gnu. IIRC In non-toolchain apps, the only eabi patch where you
acually needed to be different was perl, where perl optimizes for
armv3 on oldabi arm.