Re: NSLU2 D-I RC2, installation oddities, apt-get update error

On 3/28/2007 10:44 AM EST, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Wed 2007-03-28 07:47:05 -0400, Rob Lockhart wrote:
>
> > When logging in as root for the first time, I have to change the root
> > password to something other than what I chose during the install.  That
> > seems a little redundant.
>
> > Now, when I do "apt-get update" as root, I get this weird error:
>
> > W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release: Unknown
> > error executing gpgv
> > W: GPG error: http://mirrors.kernel.org etch Release: Unknown error
> > executing gpgv
> > W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
>
> I've had both of these problems when my clock wasn't set right.  gpg
> will refuse to verify things if the dates are wildly off from its
> conception of what the date is.  This makes sense to me, actually: if
> it thinks today is 2000-01-01, should GPG say "yes, this message is
> fine, even though it's signed by a key that won't be created for
> another seven years"?
>
> Start by setting your clock by hand to something approximating the
> correct date, then do another "apt-get update".  If that works without
> the gpgv error, then install ntp and make sure it's working properly,
> which should fix most of your problems if your slug is attached to the
> 'net.

You are right, indeed.  I noted that the time was off by a large amount
(something like years as Daniel stated above).  I had already installed
an NTP client, but hadn't yet activated it.  As soon as I activated it
(using previous settings I had working with D-I RC1), the time was set,
and I was able to do "apt-get update" successfully.  Perhaps this is
something that should be added to the installer... after a net install
(which was the case here), while you're at it, go ahead and set the
timezone and set the date, too?

Thanks for the suggestions (even though I found out about them
inadvertently while copying system files from RC1 to RC2 and restarting
the services).

Regards,
  -Rob