Experiences of armel on NSLU2

I've been testing Debian armel on a Linksys NSLU2 over the past couple of
days. I built a kernel with EABI support and this seems to work fine both
with the normal arm port and with the armel rootfs in a chroot environment.

I have now mounted the (USB) disk on another Debian box and replaced the
original root with the armel one. The Slug now refuses to boot fully: the
LEDs flash and there is lots of disk activity but it ends just sitting there
with the "status" LED yellow and the "Ethernet" one green.

If I mount the disk back on my other Debian box, I can see that it is
mounting / and I get kernel messages in /var/log/dmesg as expected. It seems
strange that the disk LED is not lit even though it is obviously mounting the
disk (unless it sets the LEDs properly after booting has finished.

Each time the boot fails, /var/log/dmesg ends with:

USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: Seagate   Model: External Drive    Rev:
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
usb-storage: device scan complete
SCSI device sda: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 27 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 27 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
input: ixp4xx beeper as /class/input/input0
IXP4XX NPE driver Version 0.3.0 initialized
IXP4XX Q Manager 0.2.1 initialized.
ixp4xx_mac driver 0.3.1: eth0 on NPE-B with PHY[1] initialized
Adding 506008k swap on /dev/sda1.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:506008k
EXT3 FS on sda2, internal journal
x1205 0-006f: rtc intf: dev (254:0)
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised:
dm-devel@redhat.com
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda4, internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
eth0: NPE-B not running
eth0: NPE-B not running

The equivalent from a full boot with the old (working) rootfs:

ixp4xx_mac driver 0.3.1: eth0 on NPE-B with PHY[1] initialized
Adding 506008k swap on /dev/sda1.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:506008k
EXT3 FS on sda2, internal journal
x1205 0-006f: rtc intf: dev (254:0)
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised:
dm-devel@redhat.com
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda4, internal journal
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on sda3, internal journal
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
Link of eth0 is full-duplex

For some reason, the network interface isn't coming up properly, even though
the module seems to be loading without any errors. I have both link and 100
MBit LEDs lit on the switch it is attached to and the Slug's ethernet LED is
also lit. Running wireshark on another box shows no traffic from the Slug at
all.

Does anyone have any clues on what to try next? I don't have a serial console
on this thing but I don't think it would really tell me much more, anyway!

Close but not quite there yet!

Cheers,

Laz