Re: arm release issues

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 09:21:38PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > Compiling Java interface classes
> > find _javagen -name "*.java" > java.files
> > /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/bin/javac -source 1.4 -classpath . -d . -sourcepath _javagen @java.files
> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.IProblem
> >    <<No stacktrace available>>
> > make[3]: *** [org/mozilla/xpcom/.class_done] Error 1
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/xulrunner-1.8.0.5/extensions/java/xpcom/interfaces'
> > make[2]: *** [tier_99] Error 2
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/xulrunner-1.8.0.5'
> > make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/build/buildd/xulrunner-1.8.0.5'
> > make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2

> This is because of that:
> Get:5 http://incoming.debian.org unstable/main ecj-bootstrap 3.2-1 [1101kB]
> Get:6 http://incoming.debian.org unstable/main ecj-bootstrap-gcj 3.1.2-6 [2646kB]

> ecj-bootstrap being arch:all, ecj-bootstrap-gcj arch:any.
> ecj-bootstrap-gcj didn't build on arm because of:

> gcj-4.1 \
>         -O2 -g -Wl,-Bsymbolic -shared -fPIC -fjni -findirect-dispatch \
>         -o build/dist/ecj.jar.so build/dist/ecj.jar
> make: *** [build/stamp] Terminated
> Build killed with signal 15 after 500 minutes of inactivity

> What a surprise... that happens a lot with big packages on arm. Couldn't this
> be somehow configured by source package ? So that the ones we know takes
> a long time can work a longer time before being killed.

Yes, it can be and is configured by source package.  If you can get some
numbers to the buildd admin (James) about how long it should take for these
packages to build, it should be straightforward to fix up that config AFAIK.

Does anyone know what happened to make ld so much slower on arm all of a
sudden?

> Anyways, a manual binNMU forcing the use of ecj-bootstrap 3.1.2-6 should
> solve the issue.

A binNMU *of* ecj-bootstrap to get it updated to 3.2-1 would be a better
starting place.