Re: NSLU2 Linux

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 01:18:59AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Szafran <szafran_cien@poczta.onet.pl> [2006-08-18 00:01]:
> > I'm using Debian on NSLU2. Great job by the way. I was wondering if
> > i replace the memory chips and place in larger replacements will the
> > debian recognize and use the extended memory ??
>
> Not by default, no.  I assume that you can change the cmd line passed
> to the kernel by RedBoot if you have a serial console but I'm not
> entirely sure.  I'm CCing Rod Whitby who probably knows.
>
> Once we use move to using APEX as the 2nd stage boot loader, I assume
> it will automatically recognize your memory if you simply added another
> bank and pass the correct parameter to the kernel.  Marc, is this
> correct?

Unfortunately, not true.  Different memory chips require a different
setup in the SDRAM controller.  All of the Fatslugs (AFAIK) use APEX
as the boot loader which can be configured to handle more SDRAM.

Changing the command line is not enough and would probably cause the
system to crash as it would be to claim that memory was available that
wasn't.