Re: apex-1.3.31 and sercomm flash header

* Rod Whitby <rod@whitby.id.au> [2006-08-05 11:26]:
> I agree.  We should use overlapping partitions instead of using 1MB for
> the second stage bootloader.  We have previously used this technique for
> the Unslung firmware to fool the Linksys binaries, so we know that it
> doesn't confuse the linux mtd code.

I'm afraid this doesn't appear to work.  While I can generate an image
with overlapping partitions with slugimage, RedBoot still crashes.

This one didn't work:

RedBoot 0x00000000      0x00040000
EthAddr 0x0003FFB0      0x00000006
SysConf 0x00040000      0x00020000
Loader  0x00060000      0x00100000
Kernel  0x00080000      0x00100000 <- overlaps with Loader
Ramdisk 0x00180000      0x00660000
FIS directory   0x007E0000      0x00020000
Payload 0x007E1000      0x0001EFF0
Trailer 0x007FFFF0      0x00000010

Whereas this one does:

RedBoot 0x00000000      0x00040000
EthAddr 0x0003FFB0      0x00000006
SysConf 0x00040000      0x00020000
Loader  0x00060000      0x00100000
Kernel  0x00160000      0x00100000 <- no overlap
Ramdisk 0x00260000      0x00580000

> We also have the source code for the Linksys modifications to
> RedBoot, so we can look at that to see if there is another way to
> fool the Linksys RedBoot 'boot' command.

If you can take a look and let me know how to fool it, I'll be glad to
test it.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/