Re: APEX and Debian

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 01:26:23AM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Marc Singer <elf@carmine.cac.washington.edu> [2006-07-19 14:30]:
> > My goal is to make APEX a reasonable replacement for Redboot.  Once
> > we have an ethernet driver, we can work out the upgrade details such
> > that there is nothing that Redboot does that APEX cannot do as well
> > or do better.
>
> For the record, we'll probably never *replace* RedBoot because
> flashing something over RedBoot has the potential to brick your
> machine.  However, it's certainly a great goal to have networking and
> other features in APEX so we can simply use RedBoot to load APEX and
> then use the latter to do the real work.

...whoever 'we' is...

:-)

I'm aware that there will probably never be a Debian policy of
replacing Redboot.  At this point, there isn't an alternative with
equivalent features, so discussions of replacing Redboot have been
moot.  But there is a need since there are some projects that replace
the manufacturer's boot loader due to exigencies of the platform.

There is a lot of room for improvement on Redboot and having a good
alternative may encourage some people who wish they had something
better to replace it.  I use APEX on my Slugs because of the long
boot-time.  APEX brings the system up in about 10 seconds.  Redboot
takes almost a minute, IIRC.