Re: arm processor informations and opinions

Em 7/10/2006, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
escreveu:

>On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:19:33AM -0500, Andr?s Calder?n wrote:
>> The ARM is (usually) integer processing oriented.
>>
>> Benchmarks for the XSCALE255 :
>> http://www.gumstix.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Benchmarks
>>
>> An useful site for comparison:
>> http://www.eembc.org/
>>
>> ARM is probably no the better choice for image treatment (obviously this
>> depend of the algoritms)
>> This is an interesant alternative:
>> http://www.ime.usp.br/~fr/sbc/
>> An FPGA can speedup greatly the power processing....
>> X86 in the easy choice (neither the funnier, and smaller ) see Mini-ITX :
>> www.mini-itx.com
>
>Well I have certainly seen the difference between a 400 MHz PXA255 and a
>266MHz Geode GX.  The Geode has floating point.  perl runs much faster
>on it than the arm.  On the other hand the arm has no problem moving
>90Mbit bidirectianally between two ethernet ports, while the geode can
>only muster about 35Mbit each way on the same mainboard at which point
>the CPU is maxed out.  Certainly for raw throughput and integer work in
>general, the arm is easily many times faster, while on floating point of
>course the geode (x86) wins easily.  We ended up using the geode in our
>design only because we couldn't get the PCI bus to be reliable on the
>arm, which killed its use for us.  For everything else it was perfect.
>
>The mips systems like alchemy look very nice too.
>
>Len Sorensen

Mips ... i have been looking for this, for a try:
http://www.acmesystems.it/?id=4

but i think that a minimum of 200 MHz is needed.

does mips have FP?

I am not an electronic expert ... and i have big abillity to choose ...
geode is x86 compatible ... it is a good chance ... although ... can he
fit on a custom home made board?

best regards.

Luis Matos