Re: arm processor informations and opinions

Em 7/10/2006, "Andrés Calderón" <andresfcalderon@gmail.com> escreveu:

>On 7/10/06, gass@otiliamatos.ath.cx <gass@otiliamatos.ath.cx> wrote:
>>

>> Hello !
>>
>> i am a mechanical engeneer student and i am beginning a project that
>> consists in develop a tool for image processing for industry (
>> artificial vision).
>>
>> I remembered that i saw some nice arm processor boards that are not that
>> difficult to build, and the price is quite low (about 1000 euros a
>> prototype).
>>
>> My question is: is the arm processor capable of supporting multiple
>> acquiring image devices (cameras) and process them (by a C program)?
>>
>> I think an intel pentium @ 450 MHz is capable, but how do i comparfe with
>> arm, before i buy?
>

>The ARM is (usually) integer processing oriented.
>
>Benchmarks for the XSCALE255 :
>http://www.gumstix.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Benchmarks
>
>An useful site for comparison:
>http://www.eembc.org/
>

>My idea is to develop an custom board and to connect there multiple
>> cameras (as needed ... 1 to 4 cameras) filter the image and provide
>> results (for example, to count pills in a pill box), basing that in
>> installing a base debian system and then provide packages of the
>> application of image treatment.
>

>ARM is probably no the better choice for image treatment (obviously this
>depend of the algoritms)
>This is an interesant alternative:
>http://www.ime.usp.br/~fr/sbc/
>An FPGA can speedup greatly the power processing....
>X86 in the easy choice (neither the funnier, and smaller ) see Mini-ITX :
>www.mini-itx.com
>

>what do you think?
>>
>> Just for the record, i am an active debian user in x86 and x86-64.
>

>In www.emqbit.com  yo can found an ARM based low cost SBC with debian
>preinstalled (with USB port, compatible with USB cameras).

thank you for your answear, it had been very helpful.

i'll see the imaging options. I am about to see the mips processors too.

there are options that cost more or less 250 euros and are supported by
debian, witch is an good advantage.

regarding the mini-itx, it is less customizable, and much more
expensible. For now, it is not an option.