Re: installing debian-armeb on a new device / where to get the base filesystem?

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 12:43:19PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Recently I bought a Freecom FSG device.
>
> It has 64 MB RAM, 266 MHz ARM CPU, built-in HDD, 4 ethernet ports, 4 USB
> ports, 1 SATA port.
>
> Quite powerful as for a small device, I'd say it's enough to replace
> some old servers.
>
> It runs some sort of Linux (big-endian), but I thought it would be a
> better idea to try to run Debian-armeb on this device.
>
> To do this, I would need some sort of a "base filesystem" of a
> Debian-armeb installation - that is, a minimal install, to which I could
> chroot.
>
> I found something similar on Martin Michlmayr's website -
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/bcm947xx/wgt634u/ - a minimal Debian-mipsel
> system in a tar.bz2 package.
>
> Is it possible to get such a minimal tar.bz2 package for Debian-armeb?
> I don't have any other ARM machine where I could copy it from.

You can get debootstrap and run it on your existing linux install to
create a chroot.  That is what I did last time I had an arm machine with
no debian support yet.  I think all it requires is perl, wget and a
couple of other standard components you should easily be able to get
onto the existing system.

A working kernel and modules is of course your own problem since debian
likely doesn't have one for your system.

Len Sorensen