Re: 2.6.16-rc3 + Xorg 6.9.0 - works for me...

Woody Suwalski wrote:
Martin,

I have just installed Debian unstable (upgrading Debian stable) on Netwinder, and X seems OK (framebuffer mode in 8-bit depth)

I have finally managed to try this on a cyber2010, and I think I am seeing the same symptom Martin described - approx one third of screen solid white, the other half black, and system is locked up.

Interestingly, on the same system but rolling kernel back from 2.6.15 to 2.4.19-rmk7-nw1 and nothing else changed, X comes up. Morover, it first does the half-black, half-white pattern observed in 2.6, and then a few seconds afterwards the stipple pattern comes up over top and the cursor appears. So it would seem that X server is crashing midway through startup under 2.6, and that (as Woody suspects) the kernel framebuffer in 2.6 is likely missing something or has errors in setup for 2010.

I will add strace and try to capture a better log of how far it gets, but just wanted to report progress so far.

Also under 2.4.19 I ran x11perf and after a few hours the X server died with SIG11. Is anyone interested in such bugs (assuming they are reproducible?)

Incidentally, having used debbootstrap to build my chroot, and then install Xorg into it, left a few things missing that I had to manually fix. Specificallly there were no /dev/tty3 (which X wanted to use), and no /dev/input/mice and no /dev/fb0 entries. Not sure where they are supposed to come from... copied them from my real root and everythign was fine...

-Ralph