Re: Deciding new arm EABI port name

Peter 'p2' De Schrijver wrote:

Hi,

Agreed with guillem that we'll decide this at the Extremadura meeting next week, else we'll end up like the amd64 port with flaming for the name choice in tech-ctte..
should be clear why current dpkg-architecture limits our choices.
(emphasize on current)

<rant>
Pardon me, but to me it looks outright stupid to let development be
constrained by some perl script.
Well it's free software, so we can change it to whatever we want =)
The big but is that it is also a very important interface, and changes
should be done with care.

I would want to install a Debian distribution compiled with
-march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -Wa,-mcpu=xscale on a newer iPAQ
and another one compiled with  -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm1100
on my older iPAQ.

I think we need to define what components we want in the naming scheme.
So far I can see : Instruction Set Architecture (eg. ARMv4, ARMv5, MIPS32,
MIPS64,...), endianess, base library (glibc, uclibc), optimization
flags.
I think we can restrict ourselves to most useful, popular
ones (i.e., the ones that can/will be actively maintained):

arm                    -> arm4, le, glibc, oabi-hard-float
arm-softfloat     -> arm4, le, glibc, oabi-soft-float
strongarm         -> arm4, le, glibc, oabi-hard-float, -mcpu=strongarm1100
...  other strongarm variations
xscale                -> arm5, le, glibc, oabi-hard-float, -mcpu=xscale
...  other scale variations
arm-uclibc         -> arm4, le, uclibc, oabi-hard-float
...  other variations based on uclibc
armeb                -> arm4, be, glibc, oabi-hard-float
armeb-softfloat -> arm4, be, glibc, oabi-soft-float
...  other bigendian variations

This all to be replaced later by:

arm-eabi            -> arm4, le, glibc, eabi-soft-float
arm-uclibc-eabi -> arm4, le, uclibc, eabi-soft-float
strongarm-eabi -> arm4, le, glibc, eabi-soft-float, -mcpu=strongarm1100
... other strongarm variations
xscale-eabi        -> arm5, le, glibc, eabi-soft-float, -mcpu=xscale
... other xscale variations

L & L

p2.

Pjotr