Re: Deciding new arm EABI port name

On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 10:28:29AM -0700, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> That is precisely why I am suggesting here that -mhard-float be dumped
> altogether in favor of -msoft-float, but have the soft-float
> implementation code be a shared object that can be replaced as needed.

..which would break backward compatability with current hardfloat libs
and binaries.

> >   EABI is probably the answer to all those issues...

> ...except backward compatibility, right?

well, changing from -mhard-float to -msoft-float breaks backward
compatablity too. Vincent Sanders had similar (but more sophisticated)
transition plan, but turned out to be unimplementable because current
hardfloat ABI, float return values are returned a fpu register.

Besides, EABI has actually been implemented, while a hardfloat
libfloat is still at a idea stage.