Re: New kernel on NSLU-2 - little endian - how??

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 05:43:35PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> [2006-02-17 16:37]:
> > Have one NSLU2 running OpenDebian: kernel is 2.6.15 compiled and
> > flashed using the instructions from the nslu2-linux home pages.
>
> So that's their kernel, right?

That's debianslug or however it should be called. The "little endian"
version which means that I can use standard Debian packages from the
archive rather than having to compile everything for armeb

uname -a gives me the relevant bits:

linux 2.6.15 armv5tel

> > Now want to run CUPS: have apt-get updated to 2.6.15*nslu2 kernel image
> > - attempts to put in modules from that tree fail.

I have apache and a full system installed: apt-get update and apt-get
dist-upgraded today [running sid].

Installing the linux-2.6.15-1-nslu2 from the main Debian archive works:
it tries to set symlinks and warns me about lilo.conf :)

I therefore have two kernel module trees - 2.6.15 and 2.6.15-1-nslu2 or
thereabouts.  Attempting to use the modules from 2.6.15-1-nslu2 gives me
module format errors [I'm looking to get the usblp modules].

The Debian build process at nslu2-linux uses monotone, a complicated
makefile and bitbake - all of these relatively new to me.  Is there a
"vanilla Debian" way yet? One slug has been flashed: I have another
brand new and boxed. My original intention was to produce two - one of
each endianness - but I think I'll stick to one for now :)

I'm also interested in installing Etch on an old RISC machine I have :)

Andy