Re: Looking for new ARM hardware (SableVM on ARM)

Gregory B. Prokopsky wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been googling, surfing the web and IRCing most of the day looking for a
>supplier from who I could get an ARM-based machine.  I am having difficulties
>finding one and I would appreciate some help.

Here's a resource to consider with Arm core you choose before
purchase:
http://www.arm.com/linux/linux_download.html
and another:
http://www.embeddedarm.com/linux/ARM.htm
and another:
http://opensrc.sec.samsung.com/

Research the linux port, conditions, kernel version,
and whether or not you need embedded Debian, and
what the details of the 'linux distro' are before you make
a choice. Also consider what you'll use for an 'IDE" or
integrated development environment. If you are developing
a commercially viable product, nothing replaces a JTAG
interface. If you are just noodling, then 'burn and churn'
is ok.

This also depends on how deeply you want to
optimize/reduce the kernel and if you'll be needing
RT, real-time, extensions or any other low level modifications,
such as bootloader, eeprom for flash memory on the board.
If you need 'hard real-time'
or 'deterministic/state-machine' behavior, then research
what rtos/kernel options and tools the vendor has with the
linux 'port' and tools they support. Ultimate you may move
some of their code over to something like embedded-Debian,
or just study in under another RTOS before implementing
a 'knock_off' under some flavor of embedded linux.

Sure you can wing all of this on your own, but, it never
hurts to ask the vendor what they offer, particularly in
the area of hardware and sourcecode to drivers.

Also, make sure the dev-board has the hardware you need,
SD, Compact flash, mini-pci, pci, pcmcia, Ethernet, serial
bluetooth, AD/DA etc, etc....
low power constraints, one of the chief reasons to use arm
,really affects the processor selection too.

Personally, I'd like to hear back what you purchase,
what you are basically trying to accomplish and why
you chose the dev-board that best fills your needs and desires.

James