apt-get update: USER failed

Hello List!
I'm trying to install some packages on an ARM CM-x270 from CompuLab.
The package info for apt and dpkg is on a host and mounted to the arm
via NFS.
When I run apt-get update, I get USER failed (see output below). It
seems like apt is not using anonymous ftp to login to the server...
how can I change this? I havent found an answer in the archives so
far...

Thanks!
Tobias

Err ftp://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
  USER failed, server said: Unknown user
Err ftp://ftp.de.debian.org stable/main Release
  USER failed, server said: Unknown user
Failed to fetch
ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-arm/Packages.gz
 USER failed, server said: Unknown user
Failed to fetch
ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-arm/Release
USER failed, server said: Unknown user
Reading Package Lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.de.debian.org
stable/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-arm_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.