Re: ARM EABI port: minimum CPU choice

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 05:01:39PM +0300, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 12:23:13PM +0200, Martin Guy wrote:
> > What is lost is the ability to compile a program in Thumb mode and
> > link it against the standard Debian libraries. I would think that
> > people who need space optimisation would do better to join the people
> > who build their own repositories optimised for their specific CPU
> > (which will give thumb-capable repositories for all thumb-capable
> > CPUs).
>
> We would loose binary compatability with everyone else using EABI.
> This includes atleast maemo (who use a debian derivate and are already
> using armel as arch name) and OpenEmbedded.
>
> I dont think working on correct armv4 epilogue support is on the
> critical path of debian/armel port. We can start the port by requiring
> arm5t, and add armv4 epilogue support later. We will have to recompile
> everything anyway if/when we get addedd to the official Debian buildd
> network,

No, you would not. That was true for the amd64 case, since those
binaries were not (all) signed by DD's, but that's a bit of a special
case. If you have a DD sign every upload, and keep the signed .changes
files around, then you don't need to recompile everything just to get in
the archive.

Of course, if you have to recompile stuff anyway, that's a different
matter.

--
Fun will now commence