Re: debian-installer support for RiscPC - volunteers wanted

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

>   - The RiscPC kernel in Debian needs to be tested
>     (linux-image-2.6.16-1-rpc).  It's unknown whether it actually
>     works.  Apparently a patch for RTC support might be needed.

There was a discussion regarding the RTC support

>Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:52:03 +0000
>From: Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk>
>To: linux-arm-kernel@lists.arm.linux.org.uk
>Subject: drivers/acorn

Russell King stated that RTC works on his RiscPC but he is a lucky one :)

Also ARMedslack has a couple of patches.
There are comments/emails tacked to the head of most patches.

Booting a compressed Kernel image.  This was sent to the mailing list
but it wasn't 'Signed-off' which is probably why it was not accepted.
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack-current/source/k/sources/linux-2.6/patches/linux-2.6.13.1-arch-rpc-zImage.patch

RapIDE v2 support.
This is incomplete but it works fine for me- Peter Naulls knows more about this.
This is his driver but updated for Linux 2.6.
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack-current/source/k/sources/linux-2.6/patches/rapide.patch

Make 24bpp work on the RiscPC:
ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack-current/source/k/sources/linux-2.6/patches/acornfb3.diff

>   - Various hardware (SCSI/IDE extension cards) need to be tested.

I can tell you that 'make rpc_config' makes a duff RiscPC Kernel.
For example: it includes compiled in support for the PowerTec SCSI
card.  Booting a kernel with such a card in the system causes a
Kernel panic as soon as the card is initialised.

I also have a couple of podule based NICs which give some freaky results;
I don't remember what happens (it's been a couple of years) but I can
dig out the cards and test them.
These drivers used to work back in Linux 2.2 days and probably just need
some loving.
However, I'm not a programmer so I do not know how to fix them but as
I said before, I'm happy to test fixes.
Nobody I have talked to really cares about the RiscPC, but I wax mine
every day ;-)

s.
--
Stuart Winter